Before we went to Jindabyne, there were a couple of days really cold and wet. Our neighbour’s 12 months old boy was wearing his beanie already. Then I went through Vivian’s wardrobeto try to find a hat, the only hat I found was a beret that I knitted for her when I was pregnant.
The size of the beret is to fit a 6-9 months old, so it is still a little big for her now. It’s completely my fault as I thought this was going to be a winter accessory, and the common sense about getting baby wear is, you always prepare something big rather than something JUST fits.
Now I have realised this is not a very good theory at all, as if you look into it, it is totally for the convenience of adults, rather than being mindful to babies. To make the best use of the value of the money, adults try to get their baby to wear one garment longer, there are just too many babies who end up wearing baggy unfitted clothes just because their parents want to save money.
It is really absurd. You don’t want your baby wearing tight and small clothes, but what’s the joy of watching them wearing the opposite, those loose and big clothes either? It is just the same awfulness. Our babies already rely on us to wipe their bottom, they deserve to wear something with right size and appropriate, just don’t humiliate them further.
Now, I have drawn a new conclusion—get the things for your baby when they need them, not before and not after. Get the right size to fit their age NOW, not smaller and not bigger. All I want to say is, cherish the NOW moment, don’t let your adult money value to ruin your baby’s beautiful infant-hood.
It seems I am off the track a bit, anyway, back to this bonnet. I really like this design. It is also super quick to knit up. It only took me about 2 nights (2 hours per night). I know people might have different opinions about those big red crochet flowers on both sides (my mom seems to hate them , but I really don’t care. I have seen Vivian wearing the plain bonnet without flowers, this flower version actually make her look much cuter. I know the size of the flowers is rather dramatic, but it makes a boring bonnet look standing out and very unique.
It fits beautifully to Vivian’s head about 41cm circumference. If you need something bigger or smaller, you have to work out how many more or less stitches to cast on yourself, as the pattern didn’t offer other sizes. I used white chenille for the main bonnet and red merino yarn for the flower and cord to thread through the eyelets which I modified the original lace pattern, as it is not going to show with chenille yarn anyway.